Start Your Own Business

Start Your Own Business.

Learn how to open your own business, and find programs to help military veterans and minorities get started.

On This Page.

Start a Business Help for Military Veteran and Minority-Owned Businesses Self-Employment and Working from Home Commercial Driver’s Licenses.

Start a Business.

Building your own business from the ground up is an exciting opportunity, but it can also be challenging.

Follow the 10 steps from the Small Business Administration (SBA) to starting a business. You’ll learn about writing a business plan, determining the legal structure of your business, and more.

Avoid common mistakes and get advice from experienced small business owners who want to help. Local SBA partner organizations offer free access to mentors and trainers.

The following tips and checklists can help you with other important parts of the process.

Business Funding Options.

Learn about a wide range of funding options to help start your business, such as government-guaranteed loans, grants, and other financial assistance.

Tax Requirements to Start a Business.

It’s important for your business to comply with federal, state, and local tax laws.

Make sure to meet all federal tax requirements for starting a business. Follow this checklist from the IRS.

Each state has additional tax rules when you start and operate a business. Get information on state-level requirements.

Learn more about business taxes, including energy tax incentives that can help you save money.

Business Insurance.

When starting your own business, you’ll need proper insurance coverage to make sure you are protected. Find out what kinds of business insurance you’ll need.

Learn about health insurance plans to cover you and your employees, including the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP).

Hiring Business Employees.

When starting a business, you may decide to hire some help. Find information on hiring your first employee, including how to start the hiring process and make sure you comply with key federal and state regulations.

Hiring Foreign Nationals.

By law, you must only employ individuals who have permission to work in the U.S. The online E-verify system allows companies to determine the eligibility of potential employees. Register your company with E-Verify.

Consumer Protection Law.

As a business owner, it’s important for you to understand your rights and responsibilities when it comes to protecting your customers. Get tips and advice on complying with consumer protection laws, including advertising and marketing, privacy and security, and more.

Help for Military Veteran and Minority-Owned Businesses.

Government programs and services can help you start or grow your veteran or minority-owned business. Get tips for launching your business, winning government contracts, and more.

Military Veteran Businesses.

If you’re interested in a veteran-owned business, there are many services that can help you:

Find information on starting a veteran-owned business. These tips from the Small Business Administration (SBA) can help you create a business plan and learn about financing. Get access to federal services and best practices to help you plan and grow your business. Use the Veteran Entrepreneur Portal (VEP) through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Learn about the required qualifications for special contracting opportunities with the government. Begin by registering your business with the Vets First Verification Program. You can find VA-certified business counselors in your state to help you learn how to apply.

Minority-Owned and Small Disadvantaged Businesses.

For minority or women-owned businesses, there are government resources that can help you:

Learn about starting and growing a minority-owned business. The Minority-Owned Business Development Agency can teach you how to win government contracts. At your regional MBDA Business Center, you can also find tools, view research, and contact experts for more guidance.

Get federal contracts through the HUBZone program if you own a small business in an underrepresented urban or rural area. Or, you may qualify for help getting government contracts as a small disadvantaged business through the 8(a) program. The SBA has several requirements to be eligible for each program.

Get information about business training and counseling from the Office of Women’s Business Ownership (OWBO). OWBO also helps women-owned small businesses with financial advice.

Find out about special programs that can help your company do business with a federal agency. See which federal agencies have an Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) that can help.

Self-Employment and Working from Home.

You are self-employed if you operate a trade, business, or profession either by yourself or with a partner.

Find out the basics of self-employment to help you succeed in the small business world:

Starting and Financing a Small Business – Explore opportunities and get tips to help you succeed. Tax Information – Learn about filing requirements for the self-employed, reporting responsibilities, and more. Health Insurance – Explore coverage options for the self-employed. Social Security Information for the Self-Employed covers how to report your earnings when you file your taxes.

Work from Home.

Are you thinking about basing your business out of your home? The Small Business Administration’s 10 Steps to Start Your Business includes the licenses and permits you need to run a home-based business.

Home Office Deduction.

If you use a portion of your home for business, you may be able to take a home office tax deduction.

Work-at-Home Scams.

Learn what to watch out for to avoid work-at-home scams. In one common scam, you may be tricked into paying to start your own internet business. These scammers will keep asking you to send money for more services related to this fake business opportunity. To file a complaint about a scam, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Federal Government Telework Guidelines.

If you’re a federal employee looking for information on teleworking, visit

Note: The federal government never charges a fee for information about, or applications for, government jobs. You can search and apply for federal government jobs for free at USAJOBS.

Commercial Driver’s Licenses.

If you want to get a commercial driver’s license (CDL), contact your state motor vehicle agency. More information about commercial driver’s licenses may be available from your state or regional Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) office or local commercial motor vehicle (CMV) driving school.

Congress passed the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 to ensure that drivers of commercial motor vehicles are qualified to operate those vehicles. States have the right to issue a driver’s license, but they must meet minimum national standards when issuing a commercial driver’s license. The Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Program places requirements on the commercial motor vehicle driver, the employing motor carrier, and the states.

States are required to issue a commercial driver’s license to drivers with specific license classifications based on the type of vehicle. Drivers who operate special types of commercial motor vehicles need to pass additional tests. While the FMCSA sets the federal standards that states must meet, it is your state that determines the:

Application process License fee License renewal cycle Renewal procedures Reinstatement requirements after a disqualification.

States may also exceed certain federal standards in areas such as medical, fitness, and other qualifications.

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They’ll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.